SPI
image
Palace Chrysler-Jeep

News


County bomb threat investigation continues



shadow
shadow
shadow
November 09, 2011 - The Michigan State Police continue to investigate a non-specific bomb threat made to Genesee County Schools at 11:50 a.m. on Nov. 4. The call, received by the Saginaw County 911 dispatch center, advised that five bombs had been placed in unnamed schools.

Michigan State Police Lt. Mike McCormick says a man who warned of five "dirty bombs" inside undisclosed schools in the county called from the Birch Run area.

The Michigan State Police released a copy of the 9-1-1 call to the media.

Schools around the county took steps including searching buildings, canceling activities and locking down campuses after the threat was called into Saginaw County 9-1-1 just before noon.

The MSP immediately notified Genesee County Intermediate School District of the bomb threat. The GISD notified all schools in Genesee County, which included 207 public, private, and charter school buildings. The threats impacted approximately 83,000 students. The schools were instructed to handle the bomb threat according to their protocol established with their local law enforcement agencies.

John Fazer, Goodrich Schools superintendent, said the district was contacted by the GISD at about 1:10 p.m. on Friday.

"We went to a soft lockdown," said Fazer. "All students in the district stay in their rooms while the staff and law enforcement walk through the buildings to see if anything is out of place. The window for the bomb was from noon to 2 p.m. After that the high school and middle school were dismissed at 2:20 p.m. If the threat had been rated at high risk, the reaction would have been different. The students and staff were very cooperative."

Editor
print
Print
email
Email Link
share
Share
Donald Turner
The Oxford Leader
Guido's Pizza
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search