Palace Chrysler-Jeep


Man dies in Ortonville electrocution

February 29, 2012 - Ortonville- A 50-year-old Clio man was killed in the village Thursday when a ladder he was attempting to move fell on a power line, electrocuting him.

George Short was pronounced deceased March 1 at Genesys Regional Medical Center in Grand Blanc. His co-worker, Richard Ridley, 48, who was helping move the 24-foot aluminum extension ladder, suffered minor injuries and was listed in stable condition.

According to police reports, Short and Ridley, employed by Professional Roofing Services of Flushing, were working on the Brandon Underwriters building, 422 Mill St. The men were on the east side of the building, which faces Pond St., and were trying to move the ladder, said a witness. The ladder fell back and hit power lines that run north and south and are about 10 feet away from the two-story building, causing a loud popping noise. The men fell to the ground.

Brandon firefighters and police responded, initiated CPR, and ambulances transported the men to the hospital. Short was pronounced deceased a short time later.

The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration is conducting an investigation.

Susan covers Brandon Township and Ortonville
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
SPI Subscriptions
The Oxford Leader
Site Search