SPI
image
Palace Chrysler-Jeep

News


Village to seek bids for demolition of apartments



shadow
shadow
shadow
June 20, 2012 - The village council voted 4-0 earlier this month to seek bids for demolition of the former Goodrich House on Hegel Road in the downtown area.

Genesee County 7th Circuit Judge Farah has signed an order to secure the Goodrich House. The funds for the demolition will come out of the village general funds—the money will then be recouped through property taxes on the real estate.

The decision comes after the village council instructed Village Attorney Mike Gildner in January to seek equitable relief regarding the property through the court. The decision means village officials can enter on the property to bring the property in compliance, including the repair or demolition of the premises. Once that order has been obtained, then the property owners are notified.

"The basement is still full of water," said Jakki Sidge, village administrator. "The owners had opportunities to make improvements. It's just not going to get any better."

Property owner Christopher Aragon vowed to work on the building per the council requests in January. However, progress was deemed insufficient.

Of historical interest in the community is the Goodrich House apartments, which had been occupied by eight families until a fire ripped through the structure on Sept. 27, 2009. The 160-year-old structure was then abandoned until Oct. 2010 when Hadley resident Aragon purchased the property with the intent to repair the structure. Work has since been ongoing; however, several issues remain.

"We don't have an historic district in the town. It's sad to see the old building torn down—it was a beautiful part of the community," added Sidge.

According to the historical society, the Goodrich House was built by Mr. Haskins in 1846 and was the first tavern, post office and a popular spot for trading and salesmen.

Editor
print
Print
email
Email Link
share
Share
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search