Palace Chrysler-Jeep


Man leads police on two chases in Brandon Township

April 03, 2013 - Brandon deputies terminated two high-speed chases led by the same suspect last week, but ultimately caught up with the man at his township residence.

David John Daly, 45, was arraigned April 2 on two counts of fleeing and eluding, third degree, a felony, as well as driving while license suspended.

According to police reports, deputies responded at about 9:02 p.m., March 31, to the area of Wildwood Loop and Dogwood in the Clarkston Lakes Mobile Home Park for a report of a reckless driver in a silver Dodge Charger.

Upon arrival to the area, a deputy observed the suspected vehicle traveling 26 miles per hour in a 15 mph zone. As the deputy turned around to make a stop, the vehicle turned left on Redbud, then made another quick left on Apple. The deputy activated his emergency lights to make a stop and the driver of the Charger, later identified as Daly, quickly accelerated left on Fir, then left on Dogwood, attaining speeds of 60 mph and ignoring stop signs while heading to Sashabaw Road, where he headed northbound and sped up to 70 to 80 mph while passing other motorists and driving in the opposing lane of traffic.

Daly slowed some as the pavement turned to gravel, but continued to be reckless for conditions as he turned right on Granger and accelerated again. The gap between Daly and the pursuing deputy increased and the deputy, who had obtained the plate number of the suspect vehicle, terminated the chase.

A second deputy located the vehicle in the mobile home park and as she attempted to stop him, Daly again fled. As he sped through the mobile home park, he lost control at the intersection of Fir and Wildwood Loop, drove up on a lawn and crashed into a porch. He continued driving, and the chase lasted several miles, including a stretch on Seymour Lake Road, and then south onto Baldwin Road, where the deputy ended her pursuit after the chase reached speeds of 100 miles per hour.

One of the deputies then located Daly at the mobile home park address registered to the owner of the Charger. The vehicle was there with fresh front end damage, a flat front tire, and white wood matching the recently struck porch wedged between the fender and the hood, which was very warm to the touch.

Daly answered the door and invited the deputy in, who asked who was driving the Charger. Daly idenitified his mother as the owner, but didn't answer when he was asked again who was driving the vehicle. When asked why he ran, Daly's response was to ask if he was going to jail. He then admitted he was the driver and was running because he didn't have his license. When asked about his alcohol consumption, he indicated he'd had a few beers. He didn't specify how many and said he drank them after making it back home. A breathalyzer test showed he had a blood alcohol content of .197 percent.

Daly has been released on bond from Oakland County Jail.

Susan covers Brandon Township and Ortonville
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search