Palace Chrysler-Jeep


Goodwill comes to Goodrich

Goodrich Plaza new home for thrift store in January

November 06, 2013 - Goodrich-In January there will be one less vacant building in town.

Angella Thompson, vice-president of retail operations and marketing for Goodwill Industries of Mid-Michigan announced last week that a new store will open in January 2014 in the Goodrich Plaza, 8147 S. State Road.

"We're excited to be in Goodrich," said Thompson. "It's a fabulous community in southeastern Genesee County. We had the community on the radar for several years and decided to move it up a little. I really like the (Goodrich) Plaza, the owner of the building has done some wonderful things with the property. The General Dollar next door, along with the other tenants, are ideal for Goodwill."

While the 8,000 square-foot store will not be open in time for Christmas, it will be open a few days before the end of the year for donations in the 2013 taxes, added Thompson. The Goodrich facility will employ about 13, starting at $7.90 per hour. The store will be number 17 for the Goodwill Industries of Mid-Michigan region.

"We have grown over the past eight years," she said. "We've added nine stores since then. We depend on the kindness of strangers to succeed. About 70 percent of the products we receive is through donations, while the other 30 percent is a blend of products from retail outlets we purchase in bulk."

Each store sells a wide variety of new to gently used clothing, household items, furniture, books and toys at affordable prices, added Thompson.

"Over the years the stigma of a second hand store is going away," she said. "Today it's more economical for customers to purchase a pair of slightly used pants for $3.90 than paying $40 at a retail outlet for new pants. With the economy the way it is, people are just smarter with their money."

The Goodwill Industries store in the Goodrich Plaza replaces an IGA food store which closed in 2008. In 2011, Goodlettsville, Tenn.-based Dollar General Corporation opened, followed by PHARMD Co., a franchise of Health Mart, an independent pharmacy which opened in the spring of 2012.

Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
SPI Subscriptions
The Citizen
Site Search