AMENDMENTS TO ZONING ORDINANCE NO. 26
November 02, 2011 - NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
AMENDMENTS TO ZONING ORDINANCE NO. 26
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN, that the Planning Commission of the Charter Township of Springfield will hold a PUBLIC HEARING at its Regular Meeting on Monday, November 21, 2011, beginning at 7:30 p.m. at the Springfield Township Civic Center, 12000 Davisburg Rd., Davisburg, MI 48350 to receive comments on the following proposed amendments to Springfield Township Zoning Ordinance No. 26.
CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF SPRINGFIELD
AN ORDINANCE TO AMEND
ORDINANCE NO. 26, ZONING ORDINANCE
THE CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF SPRINGFIELD, OAKLAND COUNTY, MICHIGAN, ORDAINS:
Ordinance No. 26, the Zoning Ordinance of the Charter Township of Springfield is hereby amended as follows:
1. ARTICLE II –Definitions, subsections e. and u. of the SIGNS definition are amended as follows:
e. Building Sign: Any sign attached to any part of a building, as contrasted to a freestanding sign. Building signs shall include the following types of signs as defined in this section: Banner, Canopy, Projecting and Wall.
u. Window Sign: Any sign, picture, symbol, or combination thereof, designed to communicate information about an activity, business, commodity, event, sale, or service that is placed inside a window and is visible from the exterior of the window.
2. ARTICLE XVI –General Provisions, Subsection 16.07—Signs, is hereby amended in subsection 16.07.2. General Conditions as follows:
Subsection c. Safety is amended as follows:
(1) All permanent signs shall be erected and maintained in compliance with all applicable building codes, and other applicable ordinances governing construction within the Township. In the event of conflict between this Ordinance and other laws, the most restrictive shall govern.
Subsection d. Signs Prohibited Under this Ordinance, is amended as follows:
d. Signs Prohibited Under this Ordinance. All signs not expressly permitted under this Ordinance are prohibited in the township. Such prohibited signs include, but are not limited to, the following:
(2) Pennants and/or streamers;
(3) Portable Signs, except those permitted in Section 16.07.8.c. Temporary Signs;
(4) Roof Signs;
(5) Flags, except those representing the insignia of any nation, state, college or university, or other government organization.
(6) Inflatable signs and tethered balloons;
(7) Animated signs including: signs containing flashing, intermittent or moving lights or with moving or revolving parts. This provision is not intended to exclude those signs which give the time or temperature, provided no other animated messages are displayed.
(8) Signs affixed to utility poles or to trees, rocks, shrubs or natural features, provided signs on a rock denoting a site of historical significance or a person being honored may also be allowed.
(9) Signs which imitate traffic signals, traffic direction signs, or similar traffic control devices or signs which make use of words such as "Stop", "Look", "Danger", or any other words, phrases, symbols or characters, in such a manner as to interfere with, mislead or confuse traffic.
(10) Permanent signs (other than those erected by a public agency) which are located within or overhang the public right-of-way or on public property.
(11) Any strobe, flashing, or osculating lights either from the interior or exterior of a building.
Subsection e. Signs Permitted in All Districts Without a Permit, (5) is amended as follows:
(5) Signs with no commercial message intended to display garage sales, family reunions, and other similar activities in the Township. These types of signs are allowed to be posted for a maximum of three (3) consecutive days and must be removed at the end of that time period.
3. ARTICLE XVI –General Provisions, Subsection 16.07—Signs, is hereby amended in subsection 16.07.4. Building Signs, as follows:
Subsection a. General Requirements, (1) is amended as follows:
(1) Within all non-residential zoning districts, a combination of building signs, not including window signs, are not to exceed the maximum sign area per table 4(b) for each zoning lot. Signage for multiple tenant shopping centers shall not exceed the total maximum square footage allowed for building signs in that district per zoning lot. If the maximum building sign size for a zoning lot on which a multiple tenant shopping center is located creates a condition where individual tenants within a shopping center have a maximum building sign size less than that enjoyed by a similar business on a separate zoning lot, the maximum building signage may be increased by the Township during site plan review. However, in such cases where the Township allows an increase of the maximum building signage for a multiple tenant shopping center, the maximum sign area (square feet) per tenant shall not exceed one (1) square foot of sign area per one (1) lineal foot of building frontage.
New subsection c. Window Signs, is added as follows:
c. Window Signs. Window signs are not counted towards total building signage and shall be permitted on the inside in commercial and office districts provided that the total combined area of such signs shall not exceed one-quarter (1/4) or twenty-five percent (25%) of the total window area.
4. ARTICLE XVI –General Provisions, Subsection 16.07—Signs, is hereby amended in subsection 16.07.6. Administration, as follows:
Subsection a. Site Plan Review, is amended as follows:
a. Site Plan Review – For new development subject to site plan review under the provisions of Section 18.07, the final site plan shall include a comprehensive sign plan including ground, wall and directional sign locations and details. Any sign, other than directional signs and temporary signs, not included in the comprehensive sign plan at the time of final site plan approval shall be subject to Planning Commission approval.
Subsection b. Permits Required, (2) is amended as follows:
(2) A permit shall be issued by the Township only if the proposed sign meets all the requirements of the Ordinance.
5. In ARTICLE XVI –General Provisions, Subsection 16.07—Signs, is hereby amended in subsection 16.07.8. Other Permitted Signs, as follows:
Subsection b. Political Signs, is amended as follows:
b. Political Signs
(1) Political signs shall be allowed without permit provided such signs are located on property whose owner(s) have granted permission and that the signs do not violate subjections 16.07.2.d(1) or 16.07.9.
(2) Political signs placed in advance of an election where the candidates or issue will be on the ballot must be removed within fifteen (15) days after the election.
New Subsection c. Temporary Signs, is added as follows:
c. Temporary Signs. A temporary sign permit can be issued by the Township if all of the following criteria have been met.
(1) A temporary sign shall have a maximum height of four (4) feet in residential areas, or six (6) feet in commercial areas, from the natural grade to the top of the sign.
(2) Only one (1) temporary sign per business is allowed at one time. Temporary signs from different businesses on the same property may be located on the same parcel at the same time, provided they must be at least fifty (50) feet apart. Each temporary sign must be setback at least fifteen (15) feet from the road right-of-way.
(3) Temporary signs shall not exceed four (4) square feet per side in residential areas, or sixteen (16) square feet per side in commercial areas, with a maximum of two (2) sides per sign.
(4) Except as otherwise provided in Section 16.24, each temporary sign shall remain in place no longer than fourteen (14) consecutive days and the posting of any temporary sign on the property shall not cumulatively exceed sixty (60) days within a calendar year.
(5) Sandwich or A-frame signs are permitted, if they meet the criteria for temporary signs outlined herein. Additionally, sandwich or A-frame signs can only be placed during business hours and must be removed each day upon closing. All sandwich and A-frame signs cannot block or impede pedestrian traffic.
(6) "Help Wanted" signs not exceeding six (6) square feet in area and four (4) feet in height, which may be displayed on private property for a period for up to four (4) weeks at a time, and not more than four (4) times within such a calendar year.
(7) Temporary signs placed upon property in the Township in violation of this Ordinance may be removed by the Township, the owner of the sign, or the owner of the property where a sign has been placed, or their designees. A temporary sign that has been removed by the Township will be kept for five (5) days, at which time the sign may be destroyed or disposed of by the Township.
(8) All temporary signs must be maintained in a condition similar to that which existed at the time of their erection.
6. In ARTICLE XVI –General Provisions, Subsection 16.24—Seasonal and Temporary Display of Products, Materials Intended for Sale, and Special Events, is hereby amended as follows:
1. Permit Requirements.
a. The outside sale of seasonal items which may include, but not be limited to, Christmas Trees, flowers and plants, pumpkins and other such seasonal items, and the temporary sale of any other merchandise and special events shall require a permit from the Township, unless such outside sales have received site plan approval. Special Events may include, but are not limited to, promotional sales, community events, or ceremonies.
b. Applications for seasonal or temporary sales or events shall be accompanied by a scaled drawing depicting the location of the proposed use, parking, drives, and signage.
c. Applications shall be filed with the Township a minimum of ten (10) days prior to the intended commencement of the sale or the event
d. Permits may be approved by the Township for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days.
e. Outside sales shall be confined to the area designated on an approved site plan and/or through the issuance of a permit as set forth in this Section.
f. Provided all other provisions in this Section are met, an organization or business that holds a number of events throughout the calendar year, which term "events" shall not be interpreted to mean a "sale", may apply for an annual temporary sign permit in accordance with the following additional provisions:
(1) Such organization shall provide a list of each event and the date(s) of such event not later than fourteen (14) days prior to the event for which a temporary sign will be erected. Exceptions to the fourteen (14) day requirement may be granted by the Township for fundraising events for disasters or emergencies.
(2) Provided such organization has been in compliance with the provisions of this Ordinance, it shall be allowed to apply for a renewal of its temporary sign permit on an annual basis by application to the Township in accordance with the requirements of this section.
2. Sales Permitted in All Districts Without Permit.
a. Retail sale of products grown on the premises, provided that such retail sales are operated by the occupants of the premises.
3. Standards and Conditions.
a. Seasonal or temporary sales and events at the discretion of the Township may be located no closer to a public road right-of-way than the required front setback or existing building, whichever is less.
b. Seasonal or temporary sales and events shall not occupy or obstruct the use of any fire lane or more than ten (10) percent of the required off-street parking, provided use of such area does not materially affect the functioning of the site.
c. Ingress and egress shall be provided in a manner so as not to create a traffic hazard or a nuisance.
d. The Township will determine whether adequate access, circulation and off-street parking is available on the site to accommodate both the principal use and seasonal and temporary sales.
e. Signage for seasonal or temporary sales operations and events shall comply with the standards for temporary signs in Section 16.07.8 c. Pennants, streamers, and other prohibited signs are listed in Section 16.07.2.d.
f. Temporary tents and other temporary items used in conjunction with outdoor sales or events shall be approved by the Township. Upon discontinuance of the event or seasonal use, any temporary items shall be removed.
SECTION TWO—Balance of Ordinance Remains in Effect
The balance of Ordinance No. 26 shall remain in full force and effect, except as specifically modified herein.
All ordinances and portions of ordinances inconsistent with this Ordinance are hereby repealed.
SECTION FOUR—Savings Clause
Nothing in this ordinance shall be construed to affect any suit or proceeding pending in any court or any rights acquired or any liability incurred, or any cause or causes of action acquired or existing, under any act or ordinance hereby repealed as cited in Section Three of this ordinance; nor shall any just or legal right or remedy of any character be lost, impaired, or affected by this ordinance.
Should any provision or part of this Ordinance be declared by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unenforceable, the same shall not affect the validity or enforceability of the balance of this Ordinance, which shall remain in full force and effect.
SECTION SIX—Effective Date
This Ordinance shall take effect following publication in the manner prescribed by law. This Ordinance shall be published in the manner provided by law.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN, that the complete text of Zoning Ordinance No. 26 and documents related to the proposed amendments may be examined at the Springfield Township Clerk's Office, 12000 Davisburg Rd., Davisburg, MI 48350 during regular office hours. Written comments may be submitted to the Springfield Township Clerk up until the time of the Public Hearing. Those persons needing a special accommodation should contact the Clerk's Office at least two (2) business days in advance. 248-846-6510.
LAURA MOREAU, Clerk
Charter Township of Springfield