November 23, 2011 - SYNOPSIS
TAKEN BY THE TOWNSHIP BOARD
THE CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF INDEPENDENCE
November 15, 2011
A. The Regular Meeting of the Charter Township of Independence Board was called to order at 6:03 PM at the Independence Township Hall.
B. The Pledge of Allegiance was given.
C. ROLL CALL: Present: Carson, Lohmeier, Pallotta, Petterson, Rosso, Wallace
There was a quorum present.
Also Present: Linda Richardson, DPW Director
Ken Elwert, Parks & Recreation Director
Steven Joppich, Secrest Wardle
Approval to appoint Acting Chair.
D. APRROVAL OF AGENDA: Approval of Agenda as amended.
E. CLOSED SESSION: Attorney-Client Privileged Legal Opinion, as permitted by MCL 15.168(h) and Pending Litigation, as permitted by MCL 15.268(e)
The Regular Meeting recessed at 6:03 PM to enter into Closed Session.
Trustee Lohmeier left at 7:58 PM.
The Regular Meeting reconvened at 7:30 PM.
F. BOARD/PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS: Mike Clark
G. PUBLIC HEARING:
1. 2012 CDBG Funding Application (Open/Close Public Hearing: 7:42 PM /7:42 PM) Public Comment: None
2. Proposed Ordinance Amendments to Chapter 20, Fire Prevention and Protection, Article III, Open Burning (Open/Close Public Hearing: 7:43 PM/8:26 PM)
Public Comment: Victor Quigley; Joe Figa; Rae LuAllen; Jim Reed, Dave Barran; Vic Kubani; Sandra Boggemes; Suzette Wagner; Dan Wheeler; Jim Ferrand and Neil Boggemes
Approval to direct the Township Attorney to prepare a draft ordinance.
Trustee Lohmeier returned at 8:21 PM.
The meeting recessed at 9:44 PM.
The meeting reconvened at 9:55 PM.
H. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:
1. Presentation: Michigan Impact Soccer Club – Building Proposal Overview
Approval to authorize the Parks & Recreation Director to work with MISC to develop potential of placing recreational facility on Township property.
Approval to extend meeting after 10:00 PM
I. CARRYOVER / POSTPONED AGENDA ITEMS:
2. Proposed Elected Officials' Disability Policy
Approval to direct the Elected Officials' Disability Policy Committee to seek an exception from the existing Elected Officials long term disability policy as it relates to Supervisor Wagner's benefits.
Approval to accept the amendment proposed by Mutual of Omaha to alter the Elected Official's long term disability coverage.
Approval to waive Attorney/Client privileges on a limited version of the Township Attorney's opinion letter regarding Elected Officials' Disability Policy.
Approval to postpone outstanding matters associated with the Elected Officials' Disability Policy.
J. CONSENT AGENDA: Approval of the Regular Meeting Minutes of October 18, 2011 and Special Meeting Minutes of October 25, 2011.
K. ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA: None
L. REGULAR BUSINESS:
1. Approval of the 2012 Community Development Block Grant Application.
2. Approval to Schedule a Public Hearing to Receive Public Comment on the 2012 Budget; Cancel a Special Meeting Scheduled for November 17, 2011, Schedule a Special Meeting for November 21, 2011.
3. Approval of Check Run in the Amount of $552,354.85
The meeting recessed at 11:40 PM.
The meeting reconvened at 11:45 PM
4. Approval of Superintendent position.
Public Comment: Nanci Anderson-Bereznicki; Rick Gutowski; Dave Kelly
Approval to post the Superintendent position with a deadline of December 15, 2011.
Approval to establish a part-time position of Budget Analyst; unfund the Deputy Supervisor position; transfer funding to the part-time Budget Analyst position and offer the part-time Budget Analyst Position to Rick Yaeger effective immediately.
Trustee Petterson left the meeting.
Motion failed to immediately appoint a Superintendent.
Approval of Special Meeting for Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM.
M. PUBLIC COMMENT: Mike Clark
N. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS: Board members commented on various topics.
O. COMMUNICATIONS / FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS / REPORTS:
1. REPORT: Building Department, Planning & Zoning Services – Monthly Report of Significant Items
2. COMMUNICATION: Lake Orion Schools – Election Change
P. ADJOURNMENT: The Regular Meeting adjourned at 1:00 AM on Wednesday, November 16, 2011.
Barbara A. Pallotta, CMC
Published: November 23, 2011