May 09, 2012 - NOTICE
CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF ORION
PROPOSED ORDINANCE ADOPTION AMENDMENT TO ORD. 78, ZONING ORDINANCE ARTICLE XXVII RECREATIONAL VEHICLE PARKING
The Charter Township of Orion Board of Trustees, at the regular meeting of Monday, June 4, 2012, to be held at 7:00 p.m., at the Orion Township Hall, 2525 Joslyn Rd., Lake Orion, Michigan 48360, proposes to adopt an ordinance amending the Zoning Ordinance No. 78, Article XXVII, for the Charter Township of Orion, Michigan; changing the text in Section 27.04, to regulate recreation vehicle parking; providing for repeal of conflicting ordinances and portions thereof; and providing an effective date.
THE CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF ORION ORDAINS:
SECTION 1 of Ordinance
Pursuant to the provisions of the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, pursuant to all applicable provisions of law, Article XXVII is amended by adding the herein after language in the Article as follows:
ARTICLE XXVII – General Provisions
* * *
Section 27.04 – Parking and Loading Regulations
* * *
C. Restriction of Open Parking and/or Storage in All Districts Except Where Permitted; Regulation in Single-Family Residential Districts.
* * *
2. General Requirements.
* * *
c. Recreational Vehicle Storage.
i. Subject to the following regulations, property owners may store or park their own trailers, motor homes, boats, snowmobiles, jet skis, all terrain vehicles, and similar vehicles on their own property or residence for an indefinite period of time, provided that the vehicles are in operable condition and properly licensed to the property owner or occupant. Such vehicles shall also be subject to the following:
· For the purpose of Section 27.04.c, the front yard shall be considered along a road and address side of the lot and shall not be abutting a lake or canal (see definition Lot, Lakefront).
· For lots within the SF, SR, SE, R-1, R-2, or R-3 zoning districts, recreational vehicles may be stored or parked within the side or rear yard. However, recreational vehicles shall be stored no closer than ten (10) feet to any side or rear property line.
· For lots within the SF, SR, or SE zoning districts, not more than two (2) recreational vehicles not more than one (1) recreational vehicle, or not more than one (1) recreational vehicle trailer holding not more than two (2) recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, jet skis, etc. may be stored or parked within the front yard but not within the required front yard setback.
· For lots within the R-1, R-2, or R-3 zoning districts which are at least 20,000 square feet in size, not more than two (2) recreational vehicles may be stored or parked within the front yard but not within the required front yard setback.
· For lots within the R-1, R-2, or R-3 zoning districts which are less than 20,000 square feet in size, not more than one (1) recreational vehicle, or not more than one (1) recreational vehicle trailer holding not more than two (2) recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, jet skis, etc. may be stored or parked within the front yard, provided there is at least twenty (20) feet between the street edge or road and any portion of the recreational vehicle or trailer stored within the front yard or driveway area.
· Where the storage or parking of not more than two (2) recreational vehicles not more than one (1) recreational vehicle, or not more than one (1) recreational vehicle trailer holding not more than two (2) recreational vehicles such as snowmobiles, jet skis, etc. is within the front yard area (excluding front yard setback areas) and where the recreational vehicles are within ten (10) feet of a property line, the Building Department shall require a permit, subject to the following:
- Sight visibility and corner clearance shall be maintained from adjoining roads, streets, driveways, or sidewalks.
- Storage of recreational vehicles shall be located on a paved or gravel surface.
- The Building Official may require a screening fence, wall or landscaping positioned in a manner to screen the views of recreational vehicles from adjoining property lines.
- Recreational Vehicles may not be stored on vacant residential parcels which do not contain a principal use such as a home, garage, or dwelling unit.
ii. A travel trailer or motor home parked or stored on a residential lot shall not be connected to sanitary facilities and shall not be used as a temporary dwelling unit, building, or structure, unless approved by the Zoning Board of Appeals, or as allowed in previous sections, in accordance with Section 27.02 (C)(1), or demonstrated compliance with Section 27.04 (C)(2)(a). The off-premise storage of a travel trailer or motor home shall be restricted to Limited Industrial 1 zoned parcels.
* * *
SECTION 2 of Ordinance
All other ordinances or parts of ordinances which are inconsistent or in conflict herewith are hereby repealed to the extent of such inconsistency or conflict.
SECTION 3 of Ordinance
The various parts, sections and clauses of this Ordinance are declared to be severable. If any part, sentence, paragraph, section or clause is adjudged unconstitutional or invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of the Ordinance shall not be affected.
SECTION 4 of Ordinance
This Ordinance shall be published in full in a newspaper of general circulation in the Charter Township of Orion, qualified under State law to publish legal notices, and shall become effective upon publication, as provided by law.
SECTION 5 of Ordinance
This Ordinance is hereby declared to have been adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Charter Township of Orion at a meeting thereof duly called and held on the XX day of XXX, 2012, and ordered to be given publication in the manner prescribed by the Charter of the Township of Orion.
Copies of the proposed Ordinance are on file in the office of the Township Clerk, 2525 Joslyn Road, Lake Orion, Michigan, 48360, and may be examined during normal business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Written comments may be submitted before the meeting to Penny S. Shults, Clerk, at the address listed above.
Penny S. Shults, Clerk
Charter Township of Orion