March 06, 2013 - CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF INDEPENDENCE
TOWNSHIP CLERK'S OFFICE
DEPUTY CLERK Salary and Benefits:
· Salary Range: $42,000 - $50,000
· This appointed full-time, non-union, salaried position offers a comprehensive benefits package
The Charter Township of Independence, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking qualified applicants, without regard to race or other protected status, for the position of Deputy Clerk.
Under the direction of the Township Clerk, the Deputy Clerk provides administrative support functions through supervision of support staff for the Clerk's office, performs a variety of clerical functions, acts as the Clerk's official designee and serves as the centralizing source of information for the Clerk's office. The Deputy Clerk maintains confidentiality of sensitive official Township business and personal information, performs a variety of responsible administrative duties involving substantial public contact and requires a specialized knowledge of records retention, voter registration; the administration of elections, and other Clerk's Office functions. In the absence of the Township Clerk, the Deputy Clerk assumes the responsibilities and authority of the Clerk.
The Deputy Clerk will be responsible for maintaining official Township Records; receiving and reviewing application materials for various Township licenses and permits; respond to citizen inquiries; prepare various reports and correspondence; oversight of preparation of Township Board minutes and assist in preparations for elections, including registering voters and maintaining equipment and files. The Deputy Clerk shall maintain his/her notary certification and perform related duties as assigned by the Township Clerk.
· Graduation from high school supplemented by an Associate degree or substantial college-level coursework in public administration, business, communications or a related field or an equivalent level of training and experience.
· A minimum of 3-5 years of progressively administrative office experience involving supervisory experience and substantial public contact, preferably in a municipal setting.
· Possession of excellent written and oral communication skills and well developed skills in utilizing computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe Professional is required.
· Prior work experience in a municipal setting and knowledge of BS&A software systems.
· Additional training and/or certifications in the administration of elections, records retention, The Open Meetings Act, The Freedom of Information Act, and/or other related topics.
· Certified Municipal Clerk accreditation is highly desirable and preferred.
· Basic knowledge of Michigan Election Law and experience with the Qualified Voter File (QVF).
· Basic knowledge of the structure of municipal government and the functions of various departments.
· Basic knowledge of the Code of Ordinances, related ordinances, and the policies, procedures, regulations and laws governing municipal government.
· Ability to work effectively under stress and changes in work priorities.
· Experience in dealing professionally with people of all economic, social and ethnically diverse backgrounds.
· Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference check, job related tests may be required.
· The duties listed above are intended as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and a completed Charter Township of Independence application for employment no later than
5:00 PM on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 to:
Barbara A. Pallotta, Township Clerk
Charter Township of Independence
6483 Waldon Center Dr.
Clarkston, Michigan 48346
NOTE: Charter Township of Independence applications for employment are available on the Township's website at www.twp.independence.mi.us or by contacting the Township Clerk's office.
Published: February 20 & March 6, 2013