June 19, 2013 - SYNOPSIS
TAKEN BY THE TOWNSHIP BOARD
THE CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF INDEPENDENCE
June 4, 2013
A. A Regular Meeting of the Charter Township of Independence Board was called to order at 7:00 PM at the Independence Township Hall.
B. The Pledge of Allegiance was given.
C. ROLL CALL: Present: Kittle, Pallotta, Brown, Aliaga,
Lohmeier, Ritchie, Schroeder
There was a quorum present.
Also Present: Ken Elwert, Director of Parks, Recreation and Seniors; Steve Ronk, Fire Chief; Renée Poole, Fire Department Business Manager
D. APPROVAL OF AGENDA: As presented
E. CLOSED SESSION: None requested
F. BOARD/PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Trustee Lohmeier announced that the Independence Day Parade event is approaching and requested that organizations wishing to participate in the activities contact him directly.
Tom Stone announced that the Senior enter is hosting the annual veterans' event and luncheon on the Fourth of July at Clintonwood Park and veterans should contact Barb Rollin at the Senior Center to obtain their VIP pass.
Supervisor Kittle provided an update on the docking issues at Deer Lake and noted that a court date has been set for July 17th.
G. PUBLIC COMMENT: Received from: Rob Namowicz related to Deer Lake issue; Rae Luallen related to potential traffic light at Pine Knob and Sashabaw Roads; and Ron Wagner related to Deer Lake issue.
H. PUBLIC HEARING: None scheduled
I. PRESENTATIONS AND REPORTS:
1. Presentation: Clarkston Area Optimist Club – Donation to Parks, Recreation & Seniors Department
2. Presentation: Review of 2014 Fire Department Budget
3. Report: Township Hall Improvements
4. Report: Building Department Organization
J. CARRYOVER / POSTPONED AGENDA ITEMS: None
K. CONSENT AGENDA:
1. Approval of Emergency Purchase of a Video Recording System and Control Surface for the Township Board Meeting Room
2. Award of Bid for the Sashabaw and Flemings Lake Road Traffic Signal Tri-Party Project
3. Approval of Letter of Understanding with Orion Township and Budget Amendment for the Maybee Road Safety Path Extension
4. Acceptance of Optimist Club Donation to Parks, Recreation & Seniors Department for Deer Lake Beach and Approval of Related Budget Amendment
5. Approval of Board of Trustees Regular Meeting Minutes: May 14, & 21, 2013 and Special Meeting Minutes: May 13, 2013
6. Approval Payroll of May 24, 2013 and Accounts Payable Check Run of May29, 2013 for a Total Amount of $755,824.02
L. ITEMS REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA: None
M. REGULAR BUSINESS:
1. Approval of Oil and Gas Lease from Jordan Development Company, LLC
2. Confirmation of the Location of the Senior Adult Activity Center Expansion
3. Adoption of the Michigan Townships Association Resolution: Principles of Governance
4. Approval to Reschedule the August 6, 2013 Regular Township Board Meeting
N. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS:
Supervisor Kittle reported Richard Carlisle of Carlisle / Wortman Associates will provide an update from the Sashabaw Corridor Improvement Authority at the Township Board's June 18, 2013 Regular Meeting.
Trustee Lohmeier was impressed with Clarkston High School's 2013 Graduation Ceremony.
Clerk Pallotta recognized Joette Kunse for her many years of service on the Senior Adult Activity Center Advisory Committee.
Trustee Schroeder thanked the community for their donations and continued support of Clarkston High Schools all night party.
Trustee Aliaga reported that Independence Television is open for public use and added that he supports the vision of the Senior Center.
Supervisor Kittle reported that the Township is getting close to finalizing an operational agreement for the integration of Independence Television and Clarkston High School's media program.
O. COMMUNICATIONS / FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS / REPORTS:
1. Report: Minutes: Water and Sewer Ad Hoc Advisory Committee of April 11, 2013
2. Report: Minutes: Sashabaw Corridor Improvement Authority (CIA) of April 18, 2013
3. Communication: MLCC Transfer of Class C Liquor License – Clarkston Courts, LLC
4. Communication: Letter of Resignation from Senior Adult Activity Center Advisory Committee Received from Joette Kunse
P. ADJOURNMENT: The Regular Meeting adjourned at 8:41 PM.
Barbara A. Pallotta, CMC
Published: Wednesday, June 19, 2013