March 05, 2014 - CHARTER TOWNSHIP OF INDEPENDENCE
JOB POSTING FINANCE DIRECTOR
DATE OF POSTING: February 25, 2014
LAST DAY OF POSTING: March 25, 2014
SALARY: Pay rate for this position is $70-80K and includes a full benefit package.
The Charter Township of Independence, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking qualified applicants, without regard to race or other protected status, for the Finance Director position in the Clerk's Office.
The Finance Director works under the general direction of the Township Clerk and manages accounting activities such as general ledger transactions, bank reconciliations, creation and maintenance of financial records, complex analysis and reconciliations, and prepares financial and budget reports. The Finance Director has management oversight of multiple financial disciplines including general accounting, audit, internal controls, accounts payable, payroll, fixed assets, and budget compliance. The Finance Director must have a demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); General Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and perform work within the framework of state statutes.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Maintain accounting records following Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), implement the pronouncements of the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Michigan Municipal Budgeting Act related to the management and recording of municipal accounts.
• Maintain and report the Township's financial position in an accurate and timely manner.
• Evaluate and implement computerized accounting systems.
• Perform accounting functions including month-end verification, and reconciliation of accounts receivable and general ledger.
• Balance and journalize month-end cash receipts and cash adjustments to the municipal accounting system.
• Record and balance all payments, deposits, transfers and other financial transactions.
• Oversee the accounts payable function.
• Oversee the payroll function.
• Provide information and respond to financial questions from Township officials, citizens, financial institution representatives, and professional contacts.
• Assist department directors regarding Township financial procedures.
• Develop and maintain spreadsheet, graphs and charts in support of general journal entries, financial analysis, trend analysis, and various forms of reporting.
• Prepare for and assist with the Township's annual audit maintain and retrieve needed records, schedules and reports; follows-up on audit findings to improve financial systems.
• Assist the Township Supervisor in budget development and administration; evaluate current revenue trends and forecast year.
• Prepare effective oral, written and electronic financial and/or budget presentations.
• Monitor budget activity in departments and take action to assure compliance with the approved budget.
• Perform research as assigned and assist in the development of forecasts.
• Coordinate the fixed assets accounting records in conjunction with Township departments. Assure that all fixed assets are properly accounted for and maintained in the inventory listing.
• Assist in the development of union contract proposals for negotiations including cost projections and comparability analysis.
• Have an understanding of special assessment districts and assist the Assessor and Treasurer in establishing new districts.
• Review and prepare individual department budget amendments for accuracy prior to submittal to the Township Board.
• Attend Township Board and subcommittee meetings to provide financial analysis as needed.
• Maintain active membership in Michigan Government Financial Organization (MGFOA). Assist with Township elections
Knowledge and Education:
• Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Finance or Accounting is required; CPA preferred.
• 5 years of progressive experience in finance or accounting experience is required; governmental experience preferred.
• Proficient computer skills, including computerized accounting system (BS&A preferred) and Microsoft Office
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and a completed Charter Township of Independence application for employment no later than
4:00 PM on March 25, 2014 to:
Charter Township of Independence
6483 Waldon Center Dr.
Clarkston, Michigan 48346
NOTE: Charter Township of Independence applications for employment are available on the Township's website at www.twp.independence.mi.us or by contacting the Human Resources office.