July 02, 2014 - Charter Township of Orion
Notice of Hearing Elkhorn Lake Water Quality Control SAD #5
Notice is Hereby Given:
1. That the Board of Trustees of the Charter Township of Orion has initiated the process of making certain improvements to Elkhorn Lake by eradicating weeds through chemical application.
2. That a preliminary cost estimate prepared by the Township is on file with the Township Clerk.
3. That this Board has tentatively designated the following described lands in the township as constituting the Special Assessment District against which the cost of the improvement is to be assessed:
09-10-380-016 09-10-376-008 09-10-328-002 09-10-307-021 09-10-380-010 09-10-376-007 09-10-328-001 09-10-307-004 09-10-380-009 09-10-376-028 09-10-307-017 09-09-477-033
09-10-380-015 09-10-376-004 09-10-307-016 09-09-477-034 09-10-380-014 09-10-376-003 09-10-307-020 09-09-477-035 09-10-380-017 09-10-376-002 09-10-307-012 09-10-351-009
09-10-376-034 09-10-329-007 09-10-307-019 09-10-351-016 09-10-376-033 09-10-329-006 09-10-307-024 09-10-351-017 09-10-376-038 09-10-329-005 09-10-307-025 09-10-351-018
09-10-376-031 09-10-329-004 09-10-307-029 09-10-351-019 09-10-376-030 09-10-329-009 09-10-307-033 09-15-101-004 09-10-376-029 09-10-328-007 09-10-307-032 09-15-126-002
09-10-376-012 09-10-328-008 09-10-307-022 09-15-126-003 09-10-376-035
4. The Special Assessment District is proposed to be created for a period of five (5) years or until a petition to discontinue the special assessment district is received with signatures that represent a majority of the properties in the district. Annual redeterminations of the cost of the improvement shall be necessary in the future, without a change in the boundaries in said Special Assessment District. The projected incremental increases are ten (10%) percent per year for the term of the improvement without additional public hearings.
5. That the Township Board will meet at the Orion Township Hall, 2525 Joslyn Road, Lake Orion, Michigan, 48360, on Monday, July 7, 2014 following the 7:00 p.m. public hearings for Square Lake SAD #1 (Pump Maintenance/Replacement), Square Lake SAD #3 (Weed/Algae Control), and Lake Orion SAD #1 (Weed/Algae Control), to hear and consider any objections to the improvement and to said Special Assessment District.
6. If the Township Board approves the improvement, a special assessment may be levied against properties that benefit from the improvement. Act 186 of the Public Acts of Michigan, 1973, as amended, provides that the special assessment must be protested at the hearing held for the purpose of confirming the special assessment roll before the Michigan Tax Tribunal may acquire jurisdiction over any dispute involving the special assessment. If approved by the Township Board, the hearing for the purpose of confirming the special assessment will be held at some time in the future pursuant to notice given as required by law. Appearance or protest at such hearing is required in order to appeal the amount of the special assessment to the Michigan Tax Tribunal. An owner of or party in interest in property to be assessed, or his or her agent, may appear in person to protest the special assessment, or may protest the special assessment by letter filed with the Township Clerk at or prior to the time of the hearing, in which case appearance is not required.
Penny S. Shults, Clerk
Publish: 6-25-14; 7-2-14