Letter to the editor
Rotary thank-you for community
December 30, 2009 - Dear Editor,
The Clarkston Rotary Club would like to sincerely thank all of those who so generously donated during the 59th annual Goodfellow Newspaper sales held in early December. The spirit of the donors was encouragement for those collecting in the cold winter winds, not only for their contributions, but also for their expressed appreciation for Goodfellows and the Clarkston Rotary's 'Shoes for Kids' program.
All donations were used to purchase new shoes and boots, hats, mittens and gloves for community children. On Dec. 12, the Rotary hosted 651 children at the Oakland Woods Baptist Church at a cost of almost $23,000.
The Clarkston Rotary Club would like to aknowledging the following for the success of this year's program:
• A special thank you to The Clarkston News, Jim Sherman, Don Rush, and staff for preparation and publication of the Goodfellows Edition. They have donated the special newspaper for the past 20 years.
• Oakland Woods Baptist Church, Pastor Galey and members for hosting the annual Shoes for Kids distribution and extra volunteers needed for the projects.
• Mr. Alan's Shoes of Redford, Jason Riegle, operations manager, and store volunteers for bringing shoes and boots to Clarkston for distribution.
• Clarkston Area Lions Club, Clarkston Community Women's Club, and Clarkston Optimists for their new endeavor, Opti-Socks.
• Local elementary schools and area churches that created, collected, and donated hats and scarves, Boy Scout Troop No. 199 and leaders for continued efforts in collecting donations, and City of Clarkston DPW for providing a warm space for Goodfellows headquarters.
• Rudy's Market and O'Malley's Galley for providing chili to serve and warm Goodfellow volunteers, and Papa Bella's Pizzeria in Ortonville for opening early to bake great pizzas for "Shoes for Kids" volunteers.
• Friends and family members of the Clarkston Rotary Club who so generously gave of their time and energy in selling newspapers, and volunteers who made this year's projects possible.
Finally, thanks again to all who gave donations for the "Shoes for Kids" program and especially to those who gave so generously. The success of this program can only be measured by the support it receives from the Clarkston community.
Clarkston Rotary Club and
program chair,Joel DeLong