Palace Chrysler-Jeep

Wolves hold bragging rights in Lake Orion win

Luke Platte keeps himself aligned with Dragon Nick DiPonio. Photo by Wendi Reardon (click for larger version)
May 19, 2010 - A gleam hit each lacrosse players eyes as they closed their game against Lake Orion on Saturday night.

They cheered and hugged each other as the game ended and they beat their rivals during Clarkston's Fifth Annual Game for a Cure event, 10-4.

"It's always good to beat Lake Orion," said Boys Varsity Lacrosse Coach Brian Kaminskas. "It doesn't matter if it water polo or lacrosse."

Both teams remained scoreless throughout the first quarter until Dragon Brad Bogus scored with 1:16 to go.

The Wolves didn't take it lightly going in to the next quarter and scored two goals within the first two minutes.

Joe Puertas scored the first, sending the ball to the back of the net and sending the crowd into cheers. Twenty seconds later Sam Bell broke the tie and put the Wolves into the lead.

"The meltdown for Lake Orion started early," said Kaminskas. "You could see with the kids. We made a point of pushing the coaches a little bit and making sure we were doing our best to keep them off their game, too.The boys knew we were going to take this game."

The Dragons charged over to Clarkston's net but the Wolves focused in and forced a turnover.

Hunter Layson and Jordan Kincaid were next to score. A goal from Dragon Jake Berkal ended the first half, 4-2.

The next half was big for Layson and Kincaid as they completed hat tricks in the third quarter.

"I was pretty excited," said Kincaid. "Pulling a hat trick is a pretty big deal. I did my best to help the team win."

"Hunter and Kincaid were rocking tonight," said Kaminskas. "Kincaid was really moving. He started the season on a tear, one of our leading scorers. He fell into a slum and we talked about it. I pulled him aside and said we are going to back you. He came back to life tonight."

Kevin Horton and Nathan Gill added two more to the board for the boys ending score.

The team spent the whole week getting ready for their rivals and hadn't played a game for 13 days, with the exception of their game against Royal Oak the night before.

"We just went back and started working on fundamentals," said Kaminskas. "Wotk the same systems we have been working on, stay focused and talk up the big weekend."

The win marks the second consecutive year the Wolves have beat Lake Orion - giving them the honor of holding onto the travel trophy and bragging right for another year.

"I am proud of the guys," said Kaminskas. "We came out this whole week. We were focused and we had a plan."

Goalie Jeff Turner saved nine shots during the night.

The team celebrated Senior Night on Friday and beat Royal Oak, 13-7.

Layson led with four goals and three assists. Bell added two goals and Bobby Peterson had one

Turner had 10 saves in the net.

The boys finished the regular season with a record 7-8.

They begin the road to finals this week with the first game against Waterford (3-12).

"I am pretty confident," said Kaminskas.

Kincaid agreed and added he felt the team will have a good week preparing for Thursday's home game.

The game begins at 6:30 p.m. at Clarkston High School stadium.

Wendi graduated from the University of Michigan-Flint with a degree in communications. She wrote for the Michigan Times college paper and Grand Blanc View before joining The Clarkston News in October 2007.
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search