soliciting proposals from experienced planning consultants
June 02, 2010 - REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
PLANNING AND ZONING SERVICES
395 MILL STREET
ORTONVILLE, MI 48462
TELEPHONE: (248) 627-2851
Brandon Township is soliciting proposals from experienced planning consultants to provide a wide range of planning services. The information contained in this Request for Proposal (RFP) is provided to supply responders with background information to allow for the completion of proposals.
Brandon Township is located in northwest Oakland County. The latest census (2000) figures set the population of Brandon Township at 14,765.
Brandon Township is a rural community located in north central Oakland County and is approximately 34.9 square miles in area. The township has a significant number of natural features including lakes, woodlands, rolling hills, wetlands and streams. A significant portion of the Township is classified as agricultural/vacant land. No municipal water or sewer services are available in the Township. Like most rural communities on the fringe of developing urban areas, Brandon Township may be faced with growth pressures should there be a resurgence in demand for rural residential housing opportunities.
The Planning Commission has formulated a prioritized list of land use concerns as identified by Township residents during the Master Plan update process. These concerns tended to focus on issues related to the protection of natural resources, the preservation of agricultural land and open space, protection of ground water and the rural character of the Township. The goals and objectives in the Township Land Use Master Plan (updated November, 2009) reflect these concerns.
It is anticipated that the Planning Consultant shall provide the following services:
· Attendance at Planning Commission meetings upon request.
· Attendance at Zoning Board of Appeals and Township Board meetings, as requested.
· Review, research and make written recommendations on all site plans, special uses, private roads, subdivision plats, site condominium, P.U.D.s, re-zonings and other related matters prior to action by the Planning Commission and/or Township Board.
· Review and make recommendations on all private road applications.
· Review, research and make written recommendations on land division applications, as requested
· Advise, assist and coordinate with the Planning Commission, Zoning Administrator, and/or Township officials in matters dealing with Michigan laws, Brandon Township ordinances, and procedures or practices related to zoning and development.
· Work with the Planning Commission and the Township Board on periodic reviews of the Brandon Township Zoning Ordinance, Master Plan and Recreation Plan.
· Provide training sessions for the Brandon Township Planning Commission, Township Board, Zoning Board of Appeals and personnel as requested.
· Coordinate with county and State agencies regarding the Township's plans for rezoning and development.
· Provide specialized planning services as requested.
· Keep the Planning Commission, Township officials and relevant personnel updated on planning statutes and case law decisions
Deadlines to Submit Proposal
A total of two (2) copies of the proposal shall be submitted in 8 ½" X 11" format by sealed bid. Completed proposals must be received by 2:00p.m., Thursday, June 17, 2010. Proposals received after this date and time will not be considered. The bid opening will take place at 2:30p.m., Thursday, June 17, 2010 at 395 Mill Street, Ortonville, Michigan. Proposals must remain valid for at least 60 days past the deadline for submittal. All costs incurred for proposal preparation, presentation or contract negotiation shall be the responsibility of the consultant. Questions regarding specifications or handling of proposals shall be directed to the Township Supervisor at (248) 627-4918.
Sealed bids may be mailed or delivered personally to the office of Brandon Township Clerk B. Jean McCreery, CMC at the following address:
Charter Township of Brandon
Attn: B. Jean McCreery, CMC
395 Mill St.
PO Box 929
Ortonville, MI 48462
The proposal shall be placed in a sealed envelope including all enclosures and labeled as follows:
"ATTENTION: CLERK'S OFFICE"
"BID PROPOSAL FOR PLANNING SERVICES"
BRANDON TOWNSHIP, MICHIGAN"
No faxed or e-mailed proposals will be accepted.
Proposals shall include the following information:
1. Cover Letter. The cover letter shall be signed by a member of the consulting firm empowered to commit the firm to a contractual arrangement with the Township. The cover letter shall also identify the person who will be responsible for regular communications with the Township, including meeting attendance.
2. Corporate Background. Provide information on the firm's background, including:
a. Organization, size and Michigan office locations.
b. The office location where work associated would be performed.
c. A description of the range of services provided by your firm. Specify any area of expertise the firm has, or members of the firm that have special qualifications to handle Township planning services.
3. Professional Staff. Identify the individual or individuals who would be providing planning services to the Township. List their experience in providing planning services to townships similar in size and character.
4. Experience and References. Provide descriptions of recent prior experience with similar rural communities undertaken within the last five (5) years. Include experience with growth management and open space preservation techniques. For each project, include the name, title and telephone number of a representative that the Township may contact to discuss your experience.
5. Samples. Include representative samples, prepared by the individual who would be assigned to work with the township, of a site plan, cluster option/residential PUD, or other development review and other correspondence that may be helpful in assessing the level and quality of service available to the township.
6. Fees. Include rates for planning services: The rate descriptions shall detail the rate for each type of service to be provided.
7. Insurance. Provide evidence of general liability, automobile liability, and professional liability in an amount of at least $500,000 combined single limit as well as Workers Compensation Insurance with the statutory overages.
8. Disclosure. Brandon Township expects each potential Planning Consultant to identify any potential conflicts of interests and a plan for handling these matters.
9. Omission of Services. If a respondent believes that some of the services being requested are not necessary, please identify those services and reasons for their omission.
10. Assurances. In that the selected Planning Consultant(s) will be required to assume responsibility for all services offered in their proposal, the Charter Township of Brandon will consider the selected Planning Consultant(s) to be the sole point of contact with regard to any subcontractors. In connection with the performance of work under a contract with the Charter Township of Brandon, the contractor must agree not to discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, or disability. The aforesaid provision shall include but not be limited to the following: recruitment or recruitment advertising; employment, upgrading, demotion, or transfer; layoff and selection or training, including apprenticeship, in accordance with rules and regulations promulgated by various Federal agencies.
11. Freedom of Information Act. Planning Consultants are hereby notified that all information contained in their proposal is subject to the provisions of the Michigan Freedom of Information Act.
PROPOSAL REVIEW, EVALUATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
Selection of a Planning Consultant will be made at the complete discretion of the Charter Township of Brandon Board of Trustees, which reserves the right to accept or reject any and all proposals. All submissions or parts thereof become property of Brandon Township and are subject to disclosure under Michigan's Freedom of Information Act.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Brandon Township Supervisor and Building Director to determine which Planning Consultant(s) will be invited to participate in an interview with the Township Board.
Township officials shall evaluate the proposals based upon the firm's ability to provide the service required, the qualifications of personnel assigned the location of the office which will serve the community, the compatibility of submission with respect to the Request for Proposals, reference analysis from other communities, and past experience of the firm with similar Townships.
Brandon Township reserves the right to waive any informality in any proposal or to reject any or all proposals, in whole or in part, should it be deemed in the Township's best interests to do so.
All proposals shall remain firm for a period of sixty (60) calendar days after official opening of bids.
Brandon Township is an equal opportunity employer, businesses owned by women or minorities are strongly encouraged to bid.
Posted by B. Jean McCreery, CMC, Brandon Township Clerk, 395 Mill Street, PO Box 929, Ortonville, MI 48462
Publish in The Citizen 5-29-10