Palace Chrysler-Jeep

Clarkston's successful season ends in 2-1 week

June 09, 2010 - The Lady Kickers season ended Saturday night when they faced Rochester Adams in the last showdown in the district finals.

The Highlanders moved past Clarkston's fancy footwork to win the championship, 3-1.

Saves by Demaree Wells and Wolves defense kept Adams out of the net for most of the first half.

With 14:24 to go Ashley Springer put Adams on the score board.

Clarkston made a drive for the Highlanders goal to tie the score but control was turned around.

Three minutes after the first goal Kylie Nylen added another point for Adams.

After a brief talk and inspiration during half time the girls came back and put two shots on their opponents' goal within the first first five minutes.

They didn't score for seven more minutes until a free kick was given to them.

Lindsey Adams took the kick. Kaylee Liddle jumped up and headed the ball into the goal for one point.

The ball was all over the field as both teams worked to score against the other. Eight minutes left, Jessica Lang scored Adams' third and final goal for the night.

Demaree Wells made seven saves during the night and Clarkston made seven shots on goal.

The girls started the road to the district finals taking on Milford and Waterford Mott during the week.

They ended both games in shut-outs, scoring five goals on Milford and four on Mott.

"The defense was flawless," said Sarah Wasilk, head coach, after the June 1 against the Lady Mavericks.

"They did a great job talking and clearing the ball. All around the girls worked really hard together. I was really impressed on how my girls played solid for 80 minutes."

Katie Vondette was the first to score five minutes into the game.

Josilyn Roberts added another goal 16 minutes later from a pass from Liddle.

Mikayla Ferer scored the third goal clenching the Lady Wolves hold on the game.

Clarkston continued to push on Milford's defense and with only seconds to go in the first half they struck again.

Lisa Lyons ran with the ball on the field's outside parameter. She moved in closer and took her shot.

The goalie lept to stop the ball and it went out of reach, landing in the corner.

Lyons scored one more time at the beginning of the second half from a cross pass from Ferer.

"She is such a hustler it doesn't surprise me she got two goals," said Wasilk. "She works so hard on the field. Most of her goals this season have been because she works and doesn't let up."

Going into the match against Mott two days later the girls were confident but also knew as they had gotten better during the season - so had the Lady Corsairs.

"They are a good team," said Wasilk. "We are certainly going to play well if not better."

Which they did - scoring four goals and giving Wells her 12th shut out for the season.

"We played really well as a team," said Ferer. "We improved a lot during the season. We wanted to beat Mott and we did. This is the first time we played on a grass field. We did very well with it."

Ferer scored the first goal for the game and added an assist on the second goal, which came from Caitlin Kirby.

Kirby moved in closer to the goalie's box as defense moved in. Still holding control of the ball she made her shot and it went into the net.

She scored one more time and Lauren Wagner finished the night with the fourth goal.

The girls ended the season 15-3-2 and OAA White champions - their first league title.

Most of the team will be back next year to continue adding to this year's successful season.

The team loses six seniors, Demaree Wells, Lauren Wagner, Breanne Timm, Katie Vondette, Katie Viazanko and Jenna Kirby.

Wendi graduated from the University of Michigan-Flint with a degree in communications. She wrote for the Michigan Times college paper and Grand Blanc View before joining The Clarkston News in October 2007.
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search