SPI
image
Palace Chrysler-Jeep

Careless smoker causes fire at new restaurant



Chardonnay_fire_color_2
shadow
Oxford firefighters make sure the fire’s extinguished on the outside of Chardonnary Family Dining. Photo by C.J. Carnacchio. (click for larger version)
July 07, 2010 - There was a bit of excitement Saturday afternoon at Oxford Township's newest restaurant, Chardonnay Family Dining.

Apparently, a careless smoker flicked a cigarette butt into the mulch-covered flower bed just outside the eatery's entrance.

The burning tobacco product ignited the dry mulch, causing a fire that charred the outside of the wooden building.

Oxford firefighters arrived and immediately extinguished the fire.

shadow
shadow
According to Fire Capt. Ron Jahlas, about $1,000 worth of damage was caused by the fire.

Jahlas said it was recommended to the restaurant's owner that he place a nonflammable material in the beds such as stone.

It was also recommended that he place some receptacles for cigarette butts outside his entrance, so smokers have a proper and safe place to dispose of their waste. – CJC

print
Print
email
Email Link
share
Share
The Oxford Leader
Guido's Pizza
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search