District welcomes 44 new teachers
September 01, 2010 - Director of Human Resources Nancy Kammer had a very busy summer.
|SAY HELLO TO THE NEW STAFF AT OXFORD HIGH SCHOOL – Back Row (left to right): Daniel Cromie, Vladislav Lebedintsev, Joseph Zmikly, Derek Blair, Jill Lemond, Lauren Rambo, Anna Sommers, Christopher Conklin, Dana Bolle, Mary Gawkins (long term guest teacher), Joseph Amabile, Phil Kimmel and Caryn Inman. Front Row (left to right): Amy Sarris, Karen Cartmill, Lindsey Long, Monica Petrous, Alyson Lynn and Fan Li. (click for larger version)|
She had to say good-bye and wish 25 teachers good luck with their retirements, leaving her with some big shoes to fill. So she set about finding the perfect candidates to fill all of the available positions.
Starting this fall, the district will welcome 44 new teachers into the Oxford Community Schools family. New hires include:
• Vlad Lebedintsev will teach business at Oxford High School. He currently resides in Farmington Hills and before coming to Oxford, he was a substitute teacher for two years at Farmington Public Schools and Mt. Pleasant Public School. While in Farmington, Lebedintsev was a student teacher and taught Business and English Second Language.
• Karen Cartmill, of Northville, will teach business at the high school. She worked in Information Technology for 20 years before she began teaching. She previously taught business, marketing and computer applications at Jackson High School in Massillon, OH for 11 years.
• Nora Krol will be a fifth-grade teacher at Oxford Elementary and has lived in Oxford for the past 10 years. She previously worked as a commercial loan officer and as a Spanish teacher at the elementary and middle school level.
• Michelle Gibson was hired to teach Language Arts at Oxford Middle School. She currently resides in Waterford and before coming to Oxford, she worked at Starbucks and Oakland Community College.
• Lauren Rambo will teach science at Oxford High School. She comes to Oxford after teaching at West Bloomfield High School in 2009 and Novi High School in 2009-2010. She currently lives in West Bloomfield.
• Monica Petrous was hired to teach Biomedical Science and Biology at Oxford High School. She lives in Harrison Twp and spent nine years in Delaware before spending one year at Troy Athens High School.
• Brian Luba was hired to teach Physical Education and Health at Oxford Middle School. He is a Clarkston resident and before coming to Oxford, he taught for six years at De La Salle Collegiate High School in Warren, MI and at North Sashabaw Elementary in Clarkston for one year.
• Stacey Zmikly will be a second grade teacher at Clear Lake Elementary and resides in Leonard. Before teaching in OCS, she was a first and second grade teacher assistant at Kingsbury in Oxford, a preschool teacher at a Headstart program in Baltimore, MD and taught kindergarten for Baltimore Public Schools in MD and Walton Charter Academy in MI.
• Amy Glanger was hired to a three/four blend at Leonard Elementary. She currently lives in Troy and previously student taught in Avondale and taught grades three through five for three years.
• Amy Sarris was hired to work support services at Oxford High School. She currently resides in Huntington Woods and taught for three years at Southfield Lathrup High School before coming to Oxford.
• Amber Golden was hired to be a special education teacher at Oxford Middle School. She will be coming to Oxford from Bowling Green, OH, where she spent two years as a Special Olympics Coordinator and two years teaching Special Education in another school district.
• Jorge Gomez will teach Spanish at OMS. He will be moving to Oxford from Detroit, where he taught Spanish for three years and dance for one year. He also taught Spanish at the Art Institute and Latin Dance at Schoolcraft College.
|NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS – Back Row (left to right): Nora Krol, Emily Becker, Megan McCully, Jennifer Coggins, Stacey Zmikly, Eric Kerr, Elizabeth Schrage and Staci Dennis. Front Row (left to right): Ashley Bailey, Sinan (Nan) Wang, Chaoran Yao, Amy Granger, Yixin (Lynne) Zhi and Norma Parker. (click for larger version)|
• Staci Dennis was hired in as a Reading Recovery and Reading Support teacher at Leonard Elementary. She currently lives in Waterford. Before coming to Leonard, she worked as a Reading Recovery/Reading Support Teacher at Daniel Axford Elementary for two years and served as a Reading Recovery and Reading Support and Classrooom Teacher in the Clarkston School District.
• Chris Conklin will be teaching Art at OHS and currently resides in Lake Orion. Conklin has previously worked for Orion Neighborhood Television, WMHW-FM in Mt. Pleasant, WCMU-FM in Mt. Pleasant and served as a Camp Director at Planet Rock.
• Ashley Bailey was hired to teach Art at Leonard Elementary. Before teaching in Oxford, Bailey has been a nanny, a camp instructor and a day care assistant. Bailey currently resides in Leonard.
• Megan McCully was hired to be a teacher at Clear Lake Elementary. She currently lives in Oxford and worked previously as a substitute teacher in the Oxford and Rochester school districts and served as a summer camp director for the Rochester Avon Recreation Authority.
• Eric Kerr will be a fifth-grade teacher at Clear Lake Elementary. Kerr moved back to Holly, where he currently resides, after spending the last three years teaching sixth grade science in Plant City, Florida.
• Cory Hincks will be teaching seventh grade math at Oxford Middle School. He relocated from Virginia to Sterling Heights, MI after spending three years teaching at Post Oak Middle School in Virginia.
• Derek Blair was hired as a part-time Digital Media instructor at Oxford High School. He currently lives in Novi and has over 18 years of experience in television news, sports and video production. He has previous experience at WDIV-TV 4, Fox Sports Detroit and other various corporate and commercial video and film productions. He was also a substitute teacher in the spring of 2010 for the Novi Community School District.
• Norma Parker will be Elementary Spanish teacher at Lakeville and Leonard Elementary. She moved to Oxford 13 years ago from Mexico. This will be her first year teaching.
|NEW MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS – (Left to right): Brian Luba, Zhijun Zhang (Jason), Michelle Gibson, Amber Golden, Jorge Gomez and Cory Hincks. (click for larger version)|
• Lindsey Long was hired to be Special Education teacher at Oxford High School. She currently resides in Lake Orion and before coming to Oxford worked at Hawthron Psychiatric Hospital and as a health teacher at Novi High School.
• Alyson Lynn was hired to teach geometry and Algebra I at Oxford High School. She currently resides in Sterling Heights, MI and served as a math and Biology substitute at OHS last year.
• Phil Kimmel will be a Algebra I and Geometry teacher at Oxford High School. He lives in Ortonville with his wife and before coming to Oxford, he served as a Mechanical Engineer at Daimler Chrysler for five years.
• Joe Amabile will be a Oxford High School math teacher. He spent five years teaching in Armada Schools, one year in West Bloomfield and one year in Clarkston. He currently lives in Rochester, MI.
• Mary Gawlik was hired as a long-term guest teacher in math at Oxford High School. She currently resides in Rochester Hills and has five years of teaching experience.
• Caryn Inman will be teaching science at Oxford High School. She resides in Ortonville and was a long-term sub at Goodrich High School in ninth grade biology.
• Betsy Schrage was hired to teach fifth grade at Lakeville Elementary. She currently resides in Clarkston and spent last summer teaching six graders in South Africa.
• Dana Bolle was hired as a Media Specialist for OHS. She currently lives in Clarkston, MI and served as the Media Specialist at Flint Powers High School the last two years.
• Anna Sommers will be a teacher in the Special Education Resource Room at Oxford High School. Currently living in Waterford, Sommers taught Special Education for two years at Imlay City High School before joining Oxford Community Schools.
• Emily Becker will be teaching part of the three/four blend at Lakeville Elementary. Before coming to Oxford, she worked two-and-a-half years in Detroit and two-and-a-half years in Hamtramck. She currently lives in St. Clair Shores.
• Jill Lemond was hired as a English Second Language teacher for the entire school district. She currently lives in Lake Orion and was an ESL consultant at Lansing Public Schools. She then taught in Hainan, China for six months before coming to Oxford.
• Dan Cromie will be teaching Special Education at Oxford High School. Before coming to Oxford, he subbed at Avondale High School and taught three years at Southfield Lathrup High School. He currently lives in Troy.
• Joe Zmikly will be teaching English and History at Oxford High School. He spent two years teaching English in Baltimore, MD and served two years as the Dean of Students at Oxford High School. He currently lives in Leonard.
• Zhijun Zhang will be teaching Chinese Language and Culture at Oxford Middle School and currently lives in Oxford. Before coming to Oxford, Zhang worked as a English Teacher at Guangdong Foreign Trade School in China.
• Fon Li will be teaching Chinese Language and Culture at Oxford High School. Li comes from China and currently resides in Oxford. Li taught English at Tai Juan University of Technology.
• Yixin Zhi was hired to teach at Clear Lake Elementary. She moved from China to Oxford. While in China, Zhi taught third grade at Hepyli Elementary School in Beijing, taught foreign teachers Chinese and taught Chinese at Northeast University.
• Sinan Wang is hired to teach at Clear Lake and Daniel Axford Elementary. Wang has internship experience teaching Chinese and worked at a summer camp. She currently lives in Oxford.
• Chaonan Yao was hired to work at Daniel Axford and Oxford Elementary and has done some internships, tutoring and worked at a summer camp. Yao currently resides in Oxford.
• Jennifer Coggins was hired to teach the second/third blend at Leonard Elementary. She has been a substitute teacher, prekindergarten teacher and has worked as a Youth Specialist at Oakland County Children's Village. She also taught third grade in Raleigh, NC for one year. She currently lives in Rochester Hills.
In addition to the 39 new teachers at the high school, middle school and elementary schools, five new teachers were hired for Crossroads for Youth and the Crossing Bridges program.
The new teachers for Crossroads for Youth are Andrea Olesky, Dian Pettingill and Darrel Shepard, while Janet Schell and Matt Santala will be working in the Crossing Bridges program.
Andrew Moser is a staff writer for the Oxford Leader.