Palace Chrysler-Jeep

Falcons swoop down on Cats

Matt Anger (left) blocks as Prescott Line rushes. Photos by Dan Shriner. (click for larger version)
September 15, 2010 - FARMINGTON The Oxford Wildcats are learning the hard way that some of the best football teams in the state are in the Oakland Activities Association.

The school made the transition into the White Division of the conference this season. The Wildcats first tough test was a Lake Orion squad and last week ran into its second buzzsaw of a team, losing 32-7 to the Farmington Falcons. The loss dropped the Wildcats record to 1-2.

The challenges won't get any easier on Friday, when the Cats will host Farmington Hills Harrison, who are 3-0 and atop the White Division with Farmington. The game is at 7 p.m.

Coach Bud Rowley told his team following the loss that they need to go back to work, practice hard and get ready for their next challenge.

The Farmington Falcons showed very good team speed in the victory, scoring on several long pass plays and runs.

The Cats took the early lead in the game, when cornerback Anthony McDugald intercepted a pass and returned it 44 yards for the score with 8:34 left in the opening quarter.

The Falcon defense did a good job holding Oxford's running game to less than 100 yards rushing for the game.

Farmington got its first score on a field goal of 26-yards with two minutes left in the first quarter. The Falcons took the lead for good in the second quarter on a 60-yard pass completion with 9 minutes left in the quarter.

The turning point in the game occurred when the Falcons took a 17-7 lead in the second quarter. Following the touchdown, the Falcons then lined up quickly for the kickoff and a referee blew a whistle for the play to start.

The Wildcats were not in formation yet to receive the ball and the kick landed near the Oxford goal line. When an Oxford player ran back to pick up the ball, he was knocked down and the ball rolled into the end zone, where a Wildcat player recovered it.

Farmington was given a safety on the play, which made the score 19-7.

Following the safety, the Wildcats kicked the ball to the Falcons from their own 20, resulting in good field position for Farmington.

The Falcons then scored on that possession to take a 25-7 lead shortly before halftime.

The 22 points scored by Farmington in the second quarter doomed the Cats.

Neither team scored in the third quarter and by the final stanza, each side was substituting players allowing everyone to play.

Former Leader Editor Dan Shriner will cover Wildcat football this season.
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search