SPI
image
Palace Chrysler-Jeep

News


CROP Walk


The walk raised $5,500, exceeding last year's total.



shadow
shadow
October 06, 2010 - Despite fewer walkers, the 30th annual CROP Walk through downtown Ortonville produced greater results.

For the last 29 years, thousands of people have recognized the need to make a difference and joined in the annual CROP (Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty) Walk. The Ortonville CROP Walk celebrated its 30th anniversary on Oct. 3.

Local resident and CROP Walk coordinator Kristin Danikolas said this years walk was dedicated to Sue Howard, who coordinated the effort for 28 years prior to her retirement in 2008.

We were really just shooting for better numbers and more people this year. We hadn't really planned anything over the top for the anniversary," said Danikolas.

The walk raised $5,500, exceeding last year's total. The event attracted 41 walkers, about 20 fewer than last year.

"Everyone who walked had a sponsor and many people who were unable to walk donated, which helped out a lot."

CROP Walk proceeds benefit both the local community and the world, with 75 percent of the donations going to Church World Services to support hunger relief and the root causes of poverty, especially in third world countries. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds stays right here in the OCEF (Ortonville Community Emergency Fund) food pantry to help feed those who are struggling within the community.

"I was really happy with how the walk turned out this year. Overall it was really great," said Danikolas.

Staff Writer Senior at Goodrich High, part of the marching band color guard, and excited to be a part of the Citizen Newspaper.
print
Print
email
Email Link
share
Share
Donald Turner
The Oxford Leader
Guido's Pizza
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search