Palace Chrysler-Jeep


Hardy, Tatu top scorers throughout three games

Matt Rodgers helps his team, pointing out who to watch for. Photo by Wendi Reardon (click for larger version)
January 19, 2011 - It was back to work on Monday morning as Cagers prepared for two upcoming OAA games.

After two wins and one loss from the previous week they still had plays to tweak and fundamentals to perfect.

"We are no where near we need to be," said long-time Wolves Varsity Basketball Head Coach Dan Fife. "We are making progress. It is taking awhile for these guys to find themselves as a team, what their strengths are and what they need to do."

The boys began their week hosting Flint Northern on Jan. 11. The first quarter proved to be slow moving for the boys, moving at the same speed into the next quarter. The boys went into half-time two points behind, 22-20.

"The first half just killed us and how we took the ball," said Fife. "We came out so flat and they took the ball so easily without much effort. It didn't look like our focus was there."

The second half was intense and the Wolves looked like they were back in form, posting 17 points in the eight minutes back on the court after Flint Northern continued to steadily climb on the scoreboard.

After a six-point run, Nick Tatu closed the gap scoring off his own rebound and scored again. A basket from Jordan Dasuqi and two from Marcus Hardy kept Flint Northern on their heels facing a one point difference.

Two free throw shots from Dasuqi with 15 seconds left in the third quarter put Clarkston in the lead 37-36.

The battle ensued for control and with 1:19 left in the game Hardy scored one point off a free throw shot, tying the game.

Flint Northern called a time out. When they came back they kept possession of the ball.

With 20 seconds left Matt Rodgers stole the ball and headed to the other side of the court. The referee blew the whistle - on the way he stepped out of bounds and Flint Northern regained control.

A basket in the last second off a rebound gave Clarkston a 53-51 loss.

Hardy led the boys with 15 points and Tatu aided with 13, scoring three 3-pointers.

The Wolves followed it with a win at Farmington Hills Harrison last Thursday, leading the scoreboard for the first three quarters.

They won the OAA league game, 55-30. Tatu led with 14 points, scoring another set of three field goals in the game. Rodgers scored one 3-pointer, finishing the game with 11 points. Hardy had eight.

They continued with a 62-61 win over Renaissance High School on Saturday night. Tatu led with 26 points.

"It went pretty well," said Fife. "Offensively we played pretty well. We didn't play that well defensively. We have lost a lot of tough ball games and we have won a few tough ones. Even with this win and the win at Harrison, we still have work to do."

The boys play two OAA foes this week - heading to Pontiac on Tuesday and North Farmington on Friday.

"This week is a tough week," said Fife. "I know it is Clarkston and Pontiac and it will be a great game. It always is. Both teams play hard and play tough. It is a great atmosphere."

North Farmington has only lost one game so far in the season and Clarkston at a 4-4 record on Monday.

"Our goal is always to win the league title," said Fife. "We have lost one already - we can't lose anymore."

JV begins at 5:30 p.m. and varsity follows.

Wendi graduated from the University of Michigan-Flint with a degree in communications. She wrote for the Michigan Times college paper and Grand Blanc View before joining The Clarkston News in October 2007.
Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search