Palace Chrysler-Jeep

Dragons hot on the ice

Senior defenseman Danny Blascak takes a shot against Plymouth. Photo by B.J. Chappie (click for larger version)
January 19, 2011 - Thursday, Jan. 6, the varsity hockey team beat Hartland, 8-4.

Daniel Chappie started the night by scoring seven seconds into the game. Justin McKelvey made it two-to-zip with assists going to Chappie and Brad Bogus.

Zach Koonce took a pass from Brett Reed and Mike Bannigan to open up a 3-1 lead. Dylan Rosen took his own rebound and buried the second shot.

The period ended with the Dragons on top, 4-2.

Bogus buried a slap shot to open the game up in the second period, but Hartland answered with two to end the period at 5-4. Bannigan scored on a pass from Koonce to open up a two goal lead in the third, then McKelvey scored (Elliot Rinke assisted) and Corbin Rainey finished off the scoring for the Dragons (assisted by Reed).

Bogus ended the night with a goal and three assists. The Dragons outshot Hartland, 46 - 27 as Dominic Junjac played in net for the Dragons.

Saturday afternoon in Plymouth the Dragons defeated the Plymouth Wildcats by the score of 8-5.

The Dragons again opened up the scoring as Reed blocked an outlet pass and Rainey picked up the puck and fed it to Shane Stockwell to start the scoring. However, Plymouth scored three and opened up a 3-1 lead.

Jesse Cameron scored on a pass from Stockwell and then later backhanded a rebound from a Brent Cotter shot into the net to even the score by the end of the first period.

In the second period, the teams traded goals as Cameron fed a nice pass to Koonce who waited until the goalie was down and lifted it over his shoulder. Reed ended the second period scoring and evened the game at five.

The Dragons slayed the Wildcats in the third with three goals as Chappie skated to the goalmouth and flipped a puck off the back leg of the goalie to score the winner. Stockwell scored again on a nice backhand shot to add some breathing room.

Danny Blascak took a slap shot that the netminder could not control and Nick Balavich finished the scoring as he buried the rebound to end the game.

Shawn Horton started the game in net and Junjac played the last two periods for the Dragons.

The Dragons defeated Rochester United on Thursday, Jan. 13, 1-0.

After controlling play off the opening face off, the Dragons gained the zone as Koonce passed over to Cameron behind the net who found a wide open Balavich who buried the shot for the game winner only 36 seconds into the game.

Ian Mercer from Rochester stonewalled the Lake Orion team the rest of the net, stopping 38 shots in a valiant effort.

Shawn Horton faced 17 shots from Rochester and was steady all night.

The next Lake Orion game will be at 8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 20 at the Detroit Skate Club.

Email Link
Clarkston Cleaning
The Oxford Leader
SPI Subscriptions
Site Search