Comments on comments by commentators
August 10, 2011 - Comments on comments by commentators . . .
. . .Well, not just audio commentators, some are print types.
First, Susan Tompor's advice for those with debt anxiety. She's a Detroit Free Press business writer.
• Own stock in companies that do business overseas. (That tells us what she thinks of our in-country business climate.)
• Consider that stocks could go up. (Yes, and vice versa.)
(All the ( & )'s are mine.)
• Learn to live with uncertainty. (And, learn to love one another.)
• Expect taxes to go up. (Now that's a certain certainty.)
• Interest rates will get higher. (And so will I on Friday nights with friends, and that's another certainty.)
- - - 0 - - -
Now for the "fair and balanced" I turn to Nolan Finley, Detroit News editorial page editor, and personality on both Detroit PBS and Channel 4.
Between now and 4 years from now, Detroit Edison will have to shutter 10 coal-burning units, reducing capacity by 20 percent. This move is directed by an Obama czar-run Environmental Protection Agency regulating coal plants.
This regulatory fiat came without a vote by our elected representatives.
To keep capacity up -- for even the hottest days -- Detroit Edison will have to switch to natural gas plants, which are more expensive. Edison's chief operating officer Steve Kurmas says DTE has no intention of allowing reserve capacity to drop too low.
This means higher electric bills from 25 to 35 percent, leaving less money for other services and goods.
The result of all this is President Obama's czars and his stated policies for job creation have again proven to be economy killers.
- - - 0 - - -
This is being written on another 90-plus degree day. And, the weather readers are making me fearful of my family's future. They continue unceasingly to emphasize "heat indexes."
I wish they'd just read us the darn thermometer.
Along the same line is a report on baby carrots. The article says they are made from deformed, full-size carrots that have been soaked in chlorine. And, chlorine is a well-known carcinogen which causes cancer.
• I wish my reader, Helen, would have looked into this chlorine-cancer-carrot thing a little further. She may have been able to tell me if chlorine also causes obesity. We have to keep our pool at a certain chlorine level, and I've been in it a lot. And, I've grown heavier since using the pool. Scientists, get a government grant and study that.
• 3-wheel motorcycles are gaining in popularity. I think former 2-wheel motorcycle drivers are the buyers, because the 3-wheelers appear uncomfortable leaning as they round curves.
• The best things in life are free -- plus taxes, of course.
• Any kid will run any errand for you if you ask at bedtime. - Red Skelton.
• Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
• If you look like your passport picture you probably need the trip.
Jim Sherman, Sr. is president of Sherman Publications, Inc. He has penned "Jim's Jottings" since 1955.