Source: Sherman Publications

Remove Images

Township eyes two roads for paving project

by David Fleet

December 04, 2013

Groveland Twp.- Two local roads may be just a little smoother in the future.

The township board of trustees OK'd Barron Road between Grange Hall and Perryville roads along with Wildwood Road between Grange Hall and McGinnis roads for paving sometime within the next three to four years.

Bob DePalma, township supervisor, said the primary roads are designated for the upgrades.

"It's vital to get roads paved and earmark several in advance so when the project comes up we have one to complete," he said. "Right now the Surface Transportation Program pays 80 percent and the community would fund the other 20 percent of the project. Roads will need a traffic count to determine need for upgrades to paved sections."

The Surface Transportation Program provides flexible funding that may be used by states and localities such as townships for projects on any federal-aid highway, including the nation's highway system, bridge projects on any public road, transit capital projects, and intracity and intercity bus terminals and facilities. In 2012 a total of $10.1 billion is avaiable in the STP fund.

Other road projects will begin in 2014 with the paving of about one mile of Oak Hill Road between Kier Road and Dixie Highway. The $1.8 million project will be paid for with 80 percent federal funding and shared dollars from Springfield Township. The Oak Hill project was delayed one year and some of the Tri-Party Program funds will be used. The annual Tri-Party Program involves one-third funding from Oakland County general government, one-third from RCOC and one-third from the community.