Source: Sherman Publications

News
Village council approves road construction projects

by Susan Bromley

July 27, 2011

Ortonville- Three roads in the village will get a much-needed makeover in the next month.

During their July 25 meeting, the village council unanimously approved the Florence Cement Company of Shelby Township to do road improvements on Pond Street, Varsity Drive, and a portion of James Street.

Florence, based in Shelby Township, was the low bidder on the project, agreeing to do the work for $203,819.

“I’m elated,” said Village Manager Larry Brown. “We are pleased the village will be able to get some of its worst roads reconstructed and resurfaced.”

On Pond Street and Varsity Drive, the existing road will be crushed and shaped, and a new overlay of asphalt will be put down. Pond Street will also include some slight elevation changes for better drainage. On James Street, between Mill and Myron streets, an overlay of new asphalt will be placed over the old asphalt.

Brown said he anticipates the work will be completed before the end of August, dependent on weather and contractor availability.

“We will work with business owners and homeowners to minimize disruptions and will notify them with specific dates,” he said.

The road improvements will be paid for from the village’s sizable fund balance. The current general fund balance is about $565,000. After the road improvements are paid for, the general fund balance will be about $360,000, or 64 percent of the total budget. The village council approved a 2011-2012 budget of $438,000 at their June 27 meeting.

The road improvements will be the only major project this year. Next year, the council plans to replace the bridge on Ball Street, using a grant that will pay for 95 percent of the work. However, the village expects to shell out about $100,000 for the remaining 5 percent, as well as for all engineering costs.