Source: Sherman Publications

Police: Combative senior citizen required two Taser hits for subdual

by CJ Carnacchio

April 25, 2012

It took two electric shocks from a Taser gun, two police officers and two pairs of handcuffs to finally subdue a large 71-year-old Oxford Village man accused of domestic violence and resisting arrest April 19.

Wilkie Collins was arraigned the next day in Rochester Hills 52-3 District Court on two felony counts of assaulting/resisting/obstructing a police officer and one misdemeanor charge of domestic violence.

He was released from the Oakland County Jail after posting a $5,000 cash surety bond.

An Oxford Village police officer was originally dispatched to Collins’ home in the Oxford Lakes subdivision on a complaint of domestic trouble.

Collins’ grandson told the officer he and his grandfather had gotten into a fight. The grandson indicated that Collins “had been chasing him around the house and ‘took a swing at him,’” the police report stated.

The grandson also told police that Collins’ allegedly “made movements toward his grandmother,” so he stepped in and advised Collins “not to touch her.”

When the officer entered the home, Collins, who is 6 feet tall and weighs 232 pounds, allegedly began yelling at him and “walking aggressively” toward him.

Collins allegedly refused to obey the officer’s commands to stop, step away from him and get on the ground.

Feeling his personal safety was being compromised, the officer, after issuing a verbal warning, fired his Taser weapon at Collins and struck him in the chest.

Collins “hunched over slightly, then grabbed the Taser leads from out of his chest, threw them to the floor (and) continued to come at (the) officer in an aggressive manner,” according to the report.

The officer called for back up as Collins allegedly continued walking toward him, while ordering him to leave the house and calling him “a coward and a clown.”

An Oakland County Sheriff’s deputy arrived on scene to assist.

Collins’ allegedly yelled an obscenity at the deputy as he entered the house and told him to leave.

The deputy ordered Collins to get on the ground, but he did not comply, according to the report.

The deputy wrote, “I then grabbed (Collins) by his head and placed him on the floor where he began to punch wildly at me. I applied several knee strikes to his left side and they had no effect on (Collins, other than to make) him more upset.”

In his report, the village officer noted he attempted to assist the deputy by taking hold of Collins’ right arm and applying a wrist-lock, but the move proved ineffective.

When the deputy pulled out his Taser gun and ordered Collins to cease his resistance or be shocked, he responded, “Go ahead, I’ll just pull it out like the last time,” according to the report.

The deputy fired his Taser gun, striking Collins in the left side of his rib cage.

Collins fell to the floor and allegedly continued to resist. The deputy was forced to shock Collins again “until he complied (and placed his hands behind his back) approximately 2 seconds later,” the report stated.

Two pairs of handcuffs were used since the wide span of Collins’ “shoulders would not allow for just one pair,” the report stated.