Source: Sherman Publications

News
Fire destroys Brandon Township mobile home

by Susan Bromley

June 20, 2012

Brandon Twp.- A township family’s mobile home was recently destroyed by a fire that originated from a nearby charcoal grill.

Township firefighters as well as Independence Township firefighters, responded to the blaze at about 12:34 p.m. June 14 in the 2300 block of Ironwood in the Sashabaw Meadows Mobile Home Park.

Upon arrival, Brandon Fire Chief David Kwapis said heavy smoke was coming off both ends of the home and fire was in the attic space. The roof of the structure was already compromised and within minutes, the fire had burned through the roof.

The fire was determined to have begun from a charcoal grill on the deck. The homeowner had cooked lunch on the grill and covered it, then left the home. He had not been gone even an hour and returned to a home on fire.

“If you are cooking with any kind of grill, do not have it next to the house, make sure all coals are out or the gas is off and never leave it unattended,” said Kwapis.

The home, which was insured, is a total loss. The family, which includes a couple with two children, is staying with relatives and has received assistance from the American Red Cross.

Firefighters from Oxford and Groveland townships provided EMS unit coverage at stations 1 and 2 during the blaze.