Source: Sherman Publications

Wolves score two wins

by Wendi Reardon

January 23, 2013

Cagers are continuing down the road of growth after taking down two OAA Red foes last week.

Junior Nick Owens led the Wolves in their 63-57 win over Southfield last Friday. Owens scored 22 points in the game with six 3-pointers.

"It's a good challenge," Dan Fife, long-time head coach, said heading into the game. "They are good and play hard."

The Wolves were ready for the challenge going into the game and held the Bluejays down to two points in the first quarter.

By the end of the second quarter, Clarkston knew they could have the game if they continued on their intensity as they headed to the locker room with a 31-17 lead.

The Bluejays scored 27 points in the final eight minutes of the game, but by then it was too late.

They gave Southfield their first loss in the league as Clarkston improved 3-1 in the OAA Red and 7-2 overall.

Senior Jordan Dasuqi added 21 points during the game with three field goals and sophomore Andrew Myers scored 12 points.

The Wolves opened the week with a 53-44 win over Pontiac.

"It was an ugly win," Fife said. "But we are young. We are going to play young. We have to get up early, and they took it to us really good. I am happy with our win."

The Wolves took the lead near the end of the first quarter after senior Nathan Yeloushan scored inside to bring the score to 6-5. Pontiac responded with their own basket and Clarkston kept going with six points from Owens, Dasuqi and Yeloushan.

With 42 seconds left Pontiac's Jordan Reid scored a 3-pointer to put the score 12-10.

The Wolves opened the second quarter with a pair of field goals from Dasuqi and Owens as they continued to hold control of the board.

They ended the first half, 30-24.

Pontiac came back with a fight in the second half, and two minutes into the final quarter, they tied the score at 39 points.

Myers broke the tie with his basket inside. After Pontiac took possession, Owens worked on a steal causing the Phoenix to lose control of the ball, which led to another basket for the Wolves.

Owens stole the ball again and passed it off to Myers who gave the ball to Dasuqi, who ended up scoring a field goal, 46-41. They kept it up and scored seven points in the last 90 seconds to take the win.

"We didn't quit," said Fife. "It looked like a heavyweight battle in the middle of the floor. Both teams got tired.I don't think our kids are going to quit."

Dasuqi led with 17 points, Owens had 13 points and Myers had 12 points.

"I was impressed with Owens' defense," Fife added. "I was really happy with the way he played defense especially when he was having trouble shooting. He helped us on the floor."

The boys head to North Farmington on Friday. They are back home when they take on Southfield once more on Tuesday, 7 p.m.